Sexual health has three main components. Emotions, hormones and blood circulation. By circulation, I mean proper, unhindered blood circulation to the genitals. Keep in mind that erections are important in both men and women as both sexes have increased blood flow to the genitalia during sexual arousal. Libido or sex drive originates in our brain, although sometimes a spontaneous erection can cause our brains to be stimulated sexually as well. So for proper libido, we should have a proper state of mind. This usually means a state of mind that is not stressed. Of course, there are exceptions to this, as when we want to have sex to relieve stress. But for the most part, libido is stronger when we are not stressed. By stress, I refer to emotional or physical stress.
Next are hormones. Without sex hormones, there would be no genitalia, no sex drive, or to put it in a nut shell, there would be no sex. In males, the primary sex hormone is testosterone, and in females, estrogen and DHEA. These hormones drop as we age, so it’s very important to sustain their proper levels for desired libido and sexual performance. Proper blood circulation is also paramount. The erection of the genital organs happens because there is increased blood flow to these organs. When this blood flow is hindered, erectile dysfunction ensues. This is very important as cardiovascular diseases, which hinder the flow of blood, are at epidemic proportions. Among them is diabetes type 2. Finally, in men proper prostate health is paramount as prostate enlargement can lead to erectile dysfunction. So what are the best supplements for libido and sexual health?
1. For emotional stability and stress relief
2. For hormonal production and balance
- Tribulus (increased testosterone)
- Horny goat weed (increased erections)
- Maca (increased sexual drive)
- Panax ginseng (increased drive and erections)
- Tongat ali (increased libido and erections)
- Di Huang (increased production of sex hormones)
- Dong Quai (mainly for women for increased libido, hormonal balance and for symptoms of PMS)
3. For improvement in circulation
- Green tea extract
- Fish oils
- Practically any antioxidant
4. For prostate health
These are my tips for the best supplements that improve libido and sexual health.
Dr. Karol M.D